Planning your funeral arrangements in advance can offer you and your family a number of benefits:
- More Time to Consider Your Options– You and your family will have time to research your options and make well-informed decisions, without feeling rushed
- A Sense of Accomplishment– You’ll feel good knowing that these arrangements have been taken care of
- Make it Easier for Your Family - Your surviving family members will have less to worry about in the event of your death
- The Pre-payment Option – When you pre-pay, you can relieve your family from the financial responsibility.
- Save the Amount You Need– Once you gain an understanding of all the costs involved, you can earmark a portion of your savings to cover those costs
- Fewer Last-minute Expenses – When you plan in advance, your family is less likely to incur additional expenses at the time of the funeral.
Have you ever considered pre-planning a funeral?
There are many advantages to preplanning a funeral. First of all, when preplanning, you can choose the funeral service you want. You make all the decisions and specifically choose all aspects of the funeral. Secondly, your family's burden will be reduced at a difficult time. Since most, if not all, of the decisions and selections have been made, things will be much easier for the rest of the family. Thirdly, if you want to prepay funeral arrangements, the prepaid arrangements qualify for SSI/Medicaid exemptions. If you are making application for SSI/Medicaid to pay for long term healthcare, prepaying funeral arrangements is sometimes a necessity to spend down one's assets. When arrangements are prepaid with our funeral home, we use the PrePlan. (The PrePlan is a unique secured trust fund holding monies set aside for an individual's burial expenses. This special co-mingled trust was established in 1988 by the New York State Funeral Director's Assoc. in order to provide a completely safe and competitive vehicle for funeral directors to place their clients' prefunded accounts.) This brings us to our fourth advantage for preplanning a funeral. When prepaying arrangements with our funeral home, your money is invested in safe, government-backed securities through PrePlan. These securities provide an excellent interest rate. A good rate of return on your prefunded account is vital to covering rising costs due to inflation. Last, but certainly not least, if you prepay funeral arrangements, the PrePlan will make payment for completed services directly to our funeral home, relieving your family from one more detail.
Preplanning funeral arrangements does not necessarily mean prepaying, and prepaying is not for everybody. We offer non-gauranteed funeral trusts. What we do is use the original prepaid amount plus any interest that has accumulated and apply it to our present day costs at the time of death. If there is any amount due, your family will be responsible for that amount, or they can choose to adjust the original arrangements to coincide with the amount of the funds available. Likewise, if there is any overage, we will refund your family that amount, unless SSI/Medicaid is involved, then we must send the excess funds to the respective county involved.
To request more information regarding pre-planning/pre-arrangement, or to begin the pre-planning process, please call us at 845-229-2624 or, you can complete our easy On-line Pre-arrangement Form now.